Amish Proverbs...Review

About the book:
Spend enough time with the Amish, as author Suzanne Woods Fisher has, and you’ll hear them repeat a catchy turn of phrase or short words of wisdom, like “Good character like good soup is usually homemade,” or “Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience.” Suspended in these phrases are age-old lessons about how to live wisely and please God. Reiterated day after day, the proverbs are learned by heart and help guide the lives of the Amish, reminding them of what’s truly important.

Fisher has spent a great deal of time with the Amish and has collected more than 200 proverbs that uncover the rich heritage, folklore, faith, values, history, and essence of the Plain People, which she shares in her new book Amish Proverbs.

These proverbs cover all aspects of life, from finances to faith to family, as well as overcoming life’s frustrations. Serving as teaching tools and maxims for practical living, they're not just for the Amish. Proverbs help point us all toward wisdom, toward good judgment, toward God’s teachings. They're for anyone who seeks God's wisdom and truth for everyday circumstances.

Mixing proverbs with short vignettes, this is a truly lovely book.  It's small and easily read in one sitting, but I think it's a perfect book to put on a table or shelf where you can just pick it up and peruse it for a few minutes.  Some are serious and others funny.  Some are simple, but all are profound in some way. 

I loved this one:  "One thing you can learn from by watching the clock is that it passes time by keeping its hands busy."   And this one, "You are only poor when you want more than you have."

I think every family has its own kind of proverbs and growing up mine was no different.

One year for Christmas, my brother had our family's proverbs done in calligraphy and framed for my mom.  She hung them on the wall of our entry hall and I looked at these every single day.

Three things to remember about the world today:
"Jesus Christ is the son of God and Savior of the world."
"Life isn't fair."
"You are responsible for your actions and decisions."

And the a second one

Before you leave this house remember:
"Who you are and what you stand for"
"The church is true"
"Mom loves you."

Now that I'm a mom, I find myself saying the same things to my children.  I firmly believe in accountability and taking responsibility for the consequences of your own actions, and I know it stems from my own upbringing. This is something we try to instill to our boys.  I think I will have our own proverbs framed for our home!

This is a gorgeous little book and would make a wonderful gift.

Thanks to Donna Hausler of Baker Publishing for the opportunity to review this book.  You can learn more about Suzanne Woods Fisher here.  You can purchase your own copy here.  Check back tomorrow for a giveaway!

Read 8/10

* * * * *
5/5 Stars


Comments